Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Personal Identity Crisis

I do not wish to start a debate on identity, discussing what identity is, or even how it is formed. That sounds dreadfully annoying and therefore rest assured I will definitely skip any train of thought that is sure to end with “cognito ergo sum.”

But this isn’t to say that philosophical thought has no purpose, and if is written poetically it has a solid chance of ending up on my screen. Walt Whitman wrote, "O me! O life! of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless--of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life? Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse."

I am here to contribute my verse. My hope is that this blog will become a storm of thought and conversation on a changing world of media and the fast-paced modern culture of the here and now that feeds it.

Identity. I am an MFA candidate studying emergent media at Champlain College in Burlington, Vermont. I am an entrepreneur, yogi, designer, photographer and writer. I am a free-thinker, tinkerer, believer, maker, and mover and shaker. This morning I was a girl with mismatched socks. But when the sun comes out tomorrow, I am hopeful that I will get that right.

Perhaps the “I am here,” is most important. I am a wide-eyed, active participant in a landscape of change. Whether you like it or not, the world is under non-stop barrage of brand spanking new technology and innovative media. We are connected. We are wired. We are hooked.

What’s the next big, cool, new thing on the block? What does all this innovation mean for everyday life? What’s tomorrow looking like? If you choose information over ignorance, participatory over laziness, and challenge over effortless ease than please, join the important conversation that must be had. I encourage you to be a watchdog on the world around you. Awareness is the only answer. We must understand that change is inevitable, perhaps the only dependable nature of our world. However, what we can shape is our role in the new realm of global connectivity, networks and digital interactivity. The world is now really at your fingertips, if you want it. Let the powerful play go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment