Thursday, October 13, 2011

Moves Like Jager

I left the room in a hyper daze; bewildered but inspired, exhausted but enthusiastic, overwhelmed but incredibly grateful. This was as he said, “metacog mayhem.” In life it is extremely rare that you are offered an opportunity to meet an icon, but last week I found myself in front of Michael Jager, President/CEO/Creative Director of Jager Di Paola Kemp (JDK) Design and I was hung on almost every word.

“Make it new,” he said simply. This is a principle Michael has lived by for the last 20 years directing the multidisciplinary creative and design efforts of JDK. The firm’s portfolio includes Burton Snowboards, Microsoft’s XBOX, Nike, Levis, Phish, MTV and Patagonia. As Michael would say, emotional, rational and cultural forces inspire their work and helps focus the center on the idea that design distinction matters.

As I pulled into my parking spot outside my condo, I couldn’t remember my drive home, my mind outpaced the wheels rolling on the pavement. I was anxious to make sure I held on to the inspiration and I plunked myself on the couch with some markers and wrote down everything I could remember. Now, every morning when I wake up and the wall above me looks like this:


Michael’s presentation was a glimpse into the creative thought process, a storm of thought, inspiration and I’ll say it, brilliancy. I put together this poster and threw in a little mayhem, to keep his ideas alive. Just like my bedroom wall, I hope to hold on to Jager’s advice, I know the sentiments will make me a better designer and I would argue a better person.


Michael Jager’s talk was part of the Emergent Landscape Speaker Series at Champlain College. The talk was recorded and is available online. I'm sure the energy will not be the same as it was in the room but here is the link to Michael Jager's talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment